Monday, January 27, 2014

Dwell Along, Fireworks, and a little tip.

Dwell Blocks 1-4 (Simply Retro by Camille Roskelley) in Bonnie & Camille for Moda Fabrics | Doodle Do Designs

Ever since I got Camille Roskelley's second book, Simply Retro, I've wanted to make the Dwell Quilt.  And I wanted to make it in Bonnie & Camille fabrics.  It just so happened that circumstances collided to make it the time to start now.  I recently purchased a destash set of Bonnie & Camille fat quarters on Instagram, and yesterday the #dwellalong started up, also on Instagram.  It was time!

I made these four blocks fairly quickly last night.  I am glad I started with one of each, because I was able to find out that there is an errata page for the book, which includes updated cutting instructions for the striped block (house C).  I admit, I don't always check for errata before I start a project.  I didn't this time, and luckily it turned out to be an easy fix since the unit was cut too big and was easy to trim down.  Lesson learned though - always check before cutting!

April Showers by Bonnie & Camille for Moda & Fireworks block by Thimble Blossoms | Doodle Do Designs

I have also been meaning to make a quilt with a Happy Go Lucky FQ set.  I was debating between Fireworks and Flower Girl (both by Thimble Blossoms/Camille Roskelley).  So I tested a Fireworks block with a mini charm pack of April Showers that has been sitting in my precuts box since Market.  I will be making a pillow from this fun block.  I think I want to go ahead and make the Flower Girl quilt from my Happy Go Lucky though.  Fireworks sure is pretty, but there is a lot of cutting, and I've been a pretty lazy quilting mood lately.

Side note:  You may notice the extra seams in my pinwheel house block above.  That's because those HSTs were left over from my Fireworks block.  They are the perfect size after a teensy bit of trimming.  So my advice, if you're making Fireworks any time soon, is to sew an extra seam (a half inch away from the seam called for in the pattern) before cutting the corners off of the corner units.  Once trimmed down to 3.5" HSTs, then combined into a four patch, you'll have a 6.5" pinwheel, perfect for the house blocks in Dwell, or any other quilty use.  Don't throw those triangles out!

So that's my little homage to Bonnie & Camille!  I'm finding that I love their fabrics more and more every time I work with them.  What's not to love?

2 comments:

  1. Cute houses, and nice fireworks block too. Though all that cutting AND flying geese, oy! I'm in a lazy quilting mood lately too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dwell blocks :) I want to make them too but I think I'm going to wait for April showers to come out.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so excited that you've decided to join the discussion! I think what you have to say is so interesting and it's valuable to share our thoughts with everyone. I'll reply here on the blog so please check back and keep the conversation going.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...