Sunday, January 13, 2013

Phase One Complete


Lots of photos in this post.  Sorry about the quality of the photo above, that's a cell phone pic because I was too lazy to change my camera lens to one that would let me get this whole side of the room in view.  The rest should be better, although the lighting isn't great because it's icky here.  But at least you can see all the yummy organization!

Sewing Room Reoganization

The cubby unit is three separate pieces (four counting the table top).  It's IKEA Expedit.  I like these because they're finished on all sides and have so many different possibilities regarding placement.  I can change them around later to suit my needs.

Fabric Storage

The storage boxes are IKEA Kassett (doesn't that remind you of Kaffe Fassett?!  Perfect for fabric).

Fabric Storage Detail

I have six boxes for fabric.  Each one has a set of colors in it (orange and yellow in one, pink and red and purple in another, for example).  I tend to buy small cuts (FQs and half yards) when I buy fabric, so these are just right for me.  I keep those folded in the back of the box where I can see them all, and then the scraps go in the open space in front.  I feel like this will be really helpful for me in just about every project I do.



You can see in this photo that instead of labeling the boxes, I decided to use a little scrap bit of fabric to depict what color group resides inside.  I love having yummy piles of fabric in sight aesthetically, but practically, it wasn't working for me (falling piles anyone?) so having a little bit of fabric showing as labels is fun.  And I can change them out whenever to freshen up the view.  I hear having fabric out of the light is better for it anyways.  Those are patterns in the metal box, and the two smaller boxes hold various trims and notions like zippers and ric rac, etc.


The cubbies over my cutting area are not as easy to get to since there's a table in the way.  So these hold things that I don't use too often.  The little plastic drawer unit holds extra sewing machine feet, needles, rotary cutter blades, and various other small supplies.  The shelf next to it holds some precuts, including my FQ bundle of Comma, there are also small jars behind that holding buttons and empty bobbins.  Below that is my mailing stuff.  That box is a card organizer from Hallmark (YEARS old) in which I keep stationery, stamps, and return address labels.  My address book is setting beside that and my monogram label embosser is in front (so now maybe I will use it more!).  The basket next to that is empty, and my idea is that I can throw scraps and remnants from cutting in there to be redistributed into their correct boxes later.  To keep things looking neat even when I don't feel like cleaning up after myself.  My sewing machine is up top when not in use.  The thread organizer there will eventually get screwed into the wall in that blank space between the pin board and the shelving unit.


Hanging here is a rail with some hooks and a basket for holding things I use when cutting.  Shears and rulers handily hang from hooks.  Tiny white flower pots (similar and cuter) hold my rotary cutters and marking utensils.  The small turntable rotary mat fits perfectly in the basket, while my large mat and ruler tuck neatly between the Expedit units when not in use.


This pin board was a score.  My husband's office was relocating from some temporary buildings when they were on location for a project, and they were throwing away a lot of office supplies and items.  This was in the trash pile!  It had a tiny bit of damage near one of the screw holes and a teeny tear in the cork, but we just used bigger screws to affix it to the wall.  Problem solved, free pin board!  The Expedit unit on its side is perfect for the tabletop ironing board.  It's also a nice place to display a jar with teeny bits of fabric I love (you know, the kind you cannot bear to throw away!).  Maybe one day I can make a ticker tape project with these bits.


In this corner you can see my fabric yardage.  I have those comic book boards that everyone likes to use to make mini bolts.  But I gotta be honest, I don't get what all the fuss is about.  I don't like them.  They are not sturdy at all  and bend, so they don't stand up on their own, and I feel like it's more work than just folding.  So I don't use them.  Oh well!  The big ironing board is tucked in the corner with some rolls of laminated cotton and oil cloth and a bolt of Ikea car yardage from ages ago (seen here on a pillowcase I made for the boy last night!).  The little guy's little table and chairs are here too.  (Can you tell yet that I'm a fan of IKEA?).


The box on the left holds my embroidery supplies.  Which so far, are not organized in that box.  The floss is still in skeins.  The box on the right is housing some kit type things.  A quilt kit I bought for some reason and will never make because I don't care for kits.  And a few scrappy kits that I put together (for a hand stitched postage stamp quilt) and that my sister put together for me as a gift using this tutorial.  Behind Little Red is where my camera and its bag and small tripod live.  The serger that my mom got from someone that was THROWING IT AWAY lives up top.  I have figured out how to thread it (which is supposed to be the hardest part?  It has arrows and is color coded for each spool printed on the machine, so that part was easy).  But I need to figure out the tension and the basics of just how to use a serger.  That tin houses selvages that have been trimmed off of yardage, waiting for a fun selvage project one day.


And lastly, here's my desk space.  The desk does not match, but it was super cheap at Walmart and maybe one day I will get around to painting it a super fun color.  Magnet board from Ikea.  This is where I blog!  On my pink laptop.  That is covered in Mater and McQueen stickers thanks to my son.  And sometimes sew here, but I'm going to let you in on a secret.  Even though I have this great space, I prefer to take my machine to the kitchen table and sew there.  It's a counter height table and I like to sew standing up. I know, weird.  :)

So there you have it.  If you're still with me after all the pictures and probably unnecessary detail, thanks!  I'd love to know what you think!

20 comments:

  1. Your sewing room is just beautiful! What an amazing room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great Kristan! I have those same boxes to store fabric. They're currently living under my cutting table just stacked, but hopefully on my next trip to IKEA I can pick up a bookcase. Thanks for sharing your pics and ideas. All the nice touches you had added to the room really make it special. :) Have fun sewing in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's fabulous! I need to figure out how to best store my fabric and you may have helped with that! I have lots of storage, it's just not organized at all. I'm pretty jealous of your clean, bright space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sewing room look great! I love those fabric storage boxes and the idea to use a small piece of fabric for the labels. I currently stack my fabric on a bookshelf and it gets really messy very quickly. The boxes are a nice solution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Love Ikea as well but they are a bit too far way to go very often. Hope you are inspired to create in your newly organized space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelley! I always feel bad for people that don't have an IKEA nearby...but maybe it's a good thing for your wallet! :)

      Delete
  6. Your space looks fabulous, thanks for sharing. I also have the expedit shelving, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have a beautiful, organized space!! We have 3 expedits and love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulously organized space you've got there Kristan! Thanks for the peek!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, I'm impressed. Mine needs a massive overhaul. It was never really put together in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new space...almost makes me want to make a trip to IKEA and pick up another bookcase, but the hubs wants that little corner left in my room for his own desk, so I guess I'll let him have it :)

    Great steal on the pin board. I want a design wall (to put on the wall opposite my desk). It's in my phase...hmm...3? lol. I'll get it done eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Kristan, I found your blog thru WIP Wednesday and love to come see the pretty things you make. I nominated you for the Liebster award. You can read my post here: http://partyofeightourstory.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks absolutely awesome! Thanks for keeping it real about the comic board fabric storage. I'd always wondered. Ikea fan here too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This space is amazing and , if it's alright with you, I'm going to use a couple of your great ideas in my own cramped space. Love the hanging scissors on what appears to be a towel bar and your storage shelves are fantastic. I've got to find one of those mini ironing boards too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Love your craft room :) And very awesome use of so much Ikea stuff ( I have an ikea about 15 mins away and it's dangerous!) One big question though, how on earth do you sew standing up? Do you not use a foot pedal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! Haha, I sew standing up at a tall counter height table. I use a foot pedal but it isn't the kind that you can rock back on your heel to cut thread or whatever so I just keep my heel on the floor and it's no problem at all! :)

      Delete
  15. Kristan - your space looks so organized and lovely. I've also heard that you should keep your fabric out of the light but somewhere where it can breath!
    Barb@Witsend

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your space is very pretty and organized! I want to thank you for your comment about the comic book boards. I've considered buying some, but wondered how well they would handle any weight in the fabric. Glad to know I should find another option! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, Ikea should put you on their payroll! Seriously though, you have a beautiful space. I love that it's so organized and clean-looking. I really like that bar with the hanging items: it looks like everything is so handy.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so excited that you've decided to join the discussion! I think what you have to say is so interesting and it's valuable to share our thoughts with everyone. I'll reply here on the blog so please check back and keep the conversation going.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...