Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Social Media Hiatus: Prelude

Maybe you've noticed I haven't been around the blog.  For those of you that haven't noticed, well, I last posted in July.  About 3 months ago.

Most bloggers I know take breaks every now and then.  They usually come back saying something like "I didn't mean to stay away this long" etc etc.

I took a break on purpose.  In fact, I totally opted out of all social media completely for the month of June.  I loved it.

Sometimes I just get so overwhelmed by everything there is to do to be a blogger.  I started this blog because I wanted a place to share quilty stuff.  I did not start it in hopes of becoming the next big modern quilt blogger.  But in the midst of sharing stuff I got caught up in Flickr and Instagram and Pinterest.  You know the drill.  You share something online, so why not connect it to all the social media platforms so lots of people can see it.

Then you keep making things and you keep sharing things.  People start following you and commenting and sharing.  And then you keep feeling like you have to make more and more, better and better.  Join all the swaps.  Join all the bees.  Join all the blog hops.

Y'all, I just couldn't do it anymore.

Here's the thing.  I like to sew.  I like to make stuff.

I don't like all the pressure.  I don't like feeling overwhelmed.

In response to feeling like it was all too much, I've pulled back from the online sewing community.  I've dropped out of the blogging world.  I separated my Instagram feed into two accounts.  One for my personal relationships and photos of my family and homelife.  Another for my business and the sewing community.

The wonderful, loving, generous, kind, supportive sewing community.  I didn't want to alienate myself from all of you.  But something had to give, you know?

In addition to dealing with the pressure I unduly put on myself, I had an industry-related business to run.  A new, baby business that I need to focus on growing.  Oh and we sold our house and bought a rather large fixer-upper.  In which we'll be DIYing all the fixing up.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm definitely feeling overwhelmed and under water.  My blog and related social media has suffered.  Even if I was feeling up to posting, I seem to have lost my sewing mojo, so I don't have any content.

Thank you for sticking with me while I work through my stuff.  I'm not sure when I'll post again.  When I'm active, I'm most active on my Instagram account (@stitcherie, linked above in the sidebar), so you can most likely catch me there.

xoxoxo,
Kristan

6 comments:

  1. As a blogger and IGer myself, I completely understand your feelings. It's just too easy to get caught up in the need/desire to maintain every sweet relationship we make in our uber-connected world. I don't have a full time job to deal with as you do, but on a part time basis, teaching several quilting classes, creating my own quilts, and doing a little freelance writing about quilting manages to consume my life. I'm all for being true to oneself. No one will chase you down to demand that you write a post, put up a picture, or even sit at a sewing machine. Do your thing, girl! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have written this blog post myself, Kristan. Overwhelmed is no good. It really takes a toll on those fun, creative moments. Taking breaks and setting a better pace is essential. I'll be here, following along, no matter how often you post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is funny, I recently read an article about how social media is making us anti-social. We spend so much time behind a screen and not much time face to face. I find myself wanting to spend more time with those I love rather than blogging, instagramming, etc. It is a matter of balance and that is something lots us of struggle with, but don't worry about it. Live your life to make you and those you love happy and the rest is just peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristan, personally I would rather read a couple of blogs a month from someone with great content then get a blog post in my email every day about raking the yard, what you ate (unless it is a yummy recipe you just have to share) and what the weather was like today (unless it is really unusual, maybe). Take time for the things that matter most - yourself, your family, friends, work, then stuff on the internet, if you want! Real life matters, the internet...not so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you, Kristan! I hope your business is gaining some ground. It can be such a slow, long battle uphill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear ya on the blogging front. It can be so much work!! Take heart that you have created an inventory of a lot of amazing stuff that is still available for people to view, apprecite, and get inspired by. and of course the most important thing is what is happening for you, behind the scenes, wherever your passion takes you. good luck and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so excited that you've decided to join the discussion! I think what you have to say is so interesting and it's valuable to share our thoughts with everyone. I'll reply here on the blog so please check back and keep the conversation going.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...