Monday, January 7, 2013

January Bee Blocks + a Sew South charity block

Lots of blocks to share today.  I recently joined two bees in an effort to connect with more quilty folks, try out new blocks, and just sew more.  As of this month, I'm a member of the Stitch that Stash! bee and the Love Circle at do. Good Stitches, and I couldn't be more thrilled.

January blocks for Love Circle were Rocky Road to Kansas, requested by Deborah.  The tutorial and template can be found on at Fresh Lemons.  A very special thank you to Beth at Stash for kindly donating scraps for us to use for these fun blocks!  I had a lot of fun, but a teeny bit of trouble, with this block.  I am a relative newbie with paper piecing, but this block was are really nice introduction.  Very easy with a stunning result.


The trouble I had was when joining the four points together on one of the blocks.  The points wouldn't match correctly, and I'm not sure what I did wrong.  But it's not off too far, so hopefully it will get "quilted out". :)  I used Kona White for the background on both blocks since that was the only neutral I had on hand.


And then (a different) Deborah requested churn dash blocks in any color combo for January in the Stitch that Stash! bee.  I went a little out of my comfort zone with the color combos here, so I hope she likes them!  I normally don't go dark and bold like this.


For being such an easy, traditional block, I don't recall ever making a churn dash before!  They were quick to sew up and would make a pretty fast baby quilt I think.


The last block I'm sharing is for a collaborative charity quilt from attendees of the Sew South Retreat!  Jennifer arranged for a donation to the Ronald McDonald House in Charlotte, NC, and fittingly, we're making house blocks!  I haven't ever sewn a house block, and I've always thought little crooked houses were cute, so that's the style I chose.  Pardon the wrinkles in this photo!


I really enjoyed making these blocks this past week.  It felt good to get some charity sewing in and make some blocks I've never tried before (all of them!).  A nice start to the new year!

2 comments:

  1. Well I think you did a great job with these blocks. I especially love the scrappy RRTK. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't the churn dash just so easy and rewarding. That block is a new fave of mine!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so excited that you've decided to join the discussion! I think what you have to say is so interesting and it's valuable to share our thoughts with everyone. I'll reply here on the blog so please check back and keep the conversation going.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...