Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Iced Pumpkin Cookies

I got in a little baking time today.  I don't even really like baking all that much, but my sick boy has been steadily asking me for pumpkin cookies all week.  I know he wanted cookies that looked like pumpkins, since I made those last week (and the week before).  However, I came across a recipe in the current Parents Magazine for something a little different.  I'm going to re-post the recipe below with my changes.


These cookies came out very fluffy, with a slightly crunchy outer.  Kind of like getting a little bite of a muffin top!  Very soft and chewy.  They even taste great without the icing, in case you don't like cream cheese icing (gasp!) or you're just trying to save on calories (okay, I'll allow that!).  My son actually preferred them without the icing.  Who's child is he?!


I wish I had gotten in some sewing time, because that's a little better on the waistline than baking time, but I couldn't resist this pitiful little toddler voice saying "peas Momma punkin cookies".  At least it looks like he's starting to feel better!

Iced Pumpkin Cookies
recipe adapted from Parents Magazine - October 2012

Cookie Ingredients
1 stick of butter, softened (I used salted butter)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pumpkin puree (I used canned)
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder (sounds like a lot, but it makes the cookies fluffy and doesn't affect the flavor)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
1/2 cup pecan pieces, roughly chopped

Icing Ingredients
4 ounces neufchatel cream cheese (low fat cream cheese), softened
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Beat the butter using a mixer on high speed for about 30 seconds.  Add in the sugar and cream together on medium speed until it gets fluffy.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Add in the egg, vanilla and pumpkin, continuing on medium speed until thoroughly mixed together.  Scrape down bowl.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.  Slowly add in to the pumpkin mixture with the speed still at medium.  I use my 1/2 cup measure to help add it slowly as opposed to just dumping it in from the bowl).  Turn mixer to low speed and add cranberries and pecans.

Using a teaspoon (the table variety, not the measuring variety, it's just easier that way) and a finger (preferably clean ;), drop onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 350° F for 10-12 minutes, or until the bottom edges start browning.  Let cool on a towel on the counter (or a rack if you're a real baker and have one) while you make the icing.

Rinse and dry the bowl you used for the flour mixture.  Add the cream cheese and beat until fluffy.  Add the softened butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla.  Beat on medium until it's a uniform consistency.  Use a spoon to top cooled cookies.

Yields about 4 dozen cookies.

What's your favorite fall recipe?

SNAP!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry your little guy is sick! The cookies look yummy though! I found your blog through the Sew South group. I'm going too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige! He seems to be feeling better now. :) It will be fun to meet at Sew South!

      Delete

I'm so excited that you've decided to join the discussion! I think what you have to say is so interesting and it's valuable to share our thoughts with everyone. I'll reply here on the blog so please check back and keep the conversation going.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...